Bookmark and Share

Vancouver General Hospital

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Vancouver General Hospital

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The history of the Vancouver General Hospital originates with the establishment of a CPR tent hospital in 1886, shortly after which a nine-bed wooden structure was erected at a point north of Powell St., between Hawkes and Heatley Avenues. In September 1886, the city's Board of Health, with the agreement of the CPR, took over administration of the building and it became the first City Hospital. In 1888, a new thirty-five bed City Hospital was built on Beatty St., south of Pender facing Cambie St., financed jointly by the province and the city. In 1902, the Vancouver General Hospital was incorporated and in 1906 the hospital moved to its present site.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes