Bookmark and Share

Fonds AM1096 - Greater Vancouver Operatic Society fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Greater Vancouver Operatic Society fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

AM1096

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [192-], 1945-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    Greater Vancouver Operatic Society

Physical description area

Physical description


  • 0.22 m of textual records
  • 272 photographs
  • 1 drawing

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Greater Vancouver Operatic Society was officially incorporated under the Societies Act on January 13, 1956, although the society had already produced musical theatre programmes under co-sponsorship arrangements with the Central Lions Club, the New Westminster Lions Club and the Burrard Lions Club. In 1960 the society ceased touring and productions were presented in the Queen Elizabeth Theatre until 1964. Productions at the Metro Theatre which began in 1965 included those of 20th-century Broadway musicals to vary the fare usually offered, namely, the most popular works of Gilbert and Sullivan. In 1969 the performance venue was moved to the new Centennial Theatre in North Vancouver where predominantly Broadway musicals were presented. In the 1970's, following a run of Gilbert and Sullivan shows, the practise of alternating G & S productions with those of more recent composers and lyricists was instituted. Touring resumed in 1973 and continued for several years. Beginning in 1986 G.V.O.S. production runs ranged between 14 and 17 nights with performances divided between the Centennial and Richmond Gateway Theatres. Productions by the G.V.O.S. ceased in 2000.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated to the City of Vancouver Archives in 1991, 1992, 1993, 2005, and 2007 by Edward L. Affleck and Carolyn Affleck.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

See programmes of productions of the G.V.O.S. and a history of the society by E.L. Affleck in the Pamphlet collection.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres