Bookmark and Share

Fonds AM420 - Alexandra Neighbourhood House fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Alexandra Neighbourhood House fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the provenance of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

AM420

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1891-1972 (Creation)
    Creator
    Alexandra Neighbourhood House

Physical description area

Physical description


  • 5.4 m of textual records
  • ca. 90 photographs
  • 10 architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In 1892 the Women's Christian Temperance Union opened a home for motherless children in Vancouver. The organization was incorporated as "The Alexandra Non-Sectarian Orphanage and Home for Children" and moved to Alexandra House in Kitsilano. The orphanage was closed in 1938 and the building became Vancouver's first neighbourhood house offering a variety of recreational and social services activities for the Kitsilano area. In 1944, the Alexandra Non-Sectarian Orphanage was re-incorporated as Alexandra Community Activities to include Alexandra House, Gordon House, and Alexandra Fresh Air Camp. With the establishment of the Community Chest and Councils of the Greater Vancouver Area in 1944, these agencies became members. In 1955, the Joint Family Services Project was initiated from Alexandra House and Gordon House. In 1966, Alexandra Community Activities was reorganized as the Alexandra Neighbourhood Services Association, which then became Neighbourhood Services Association of Greater Vancouver in 1969. In the summer of 1971 and 1972 Alexandra House was used as a hostel for travelling youth. Shortly thereafter, Alexandra House was destroyed in a fire.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minutes, correspondence, financial statements, and annual reports of the organization, as well as reports and documentation of the agency's recreational programming, social work services, and neighbourhood development projects. There are some case files relating to families that received social service assistance, as well as some clippings, and photographs. Fonds includes records of the Alexandra Non-Sectarian Orphanage and Home for Children, Alexandra Community Activities, and Community Chest and Councils of the Greater Vancouver Area.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by George Whiten, Alexandra Neighbourhood House, in 1974 and 1976.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Fonds has been microfilmed; please consult microfilm unit M-103. Reels 1 to 11 contain non-restricted records, reels 12 to 15 contains restricted records located at 73-F-8.

Restrictions on access

Portions of the fonds are restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres