Bookmark and Share

Greater Vancouver Operatic Society

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Greater Vancouver Operatic Society

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Greater Vancouver Operatic Society was officially incorporated under the Societies Act on January 13, 1956, although the society had already produced musical theatre programmes under co-sponsorship arrangements with the Central Lions Club, the New Westminster Lions Club and the Burrard Lions Club. In 1960 the society ceased touring and productions were presented in the Queen Elizabeth Theatre until 1964. Productions at the Metro Theatre which began in 1965 included those of 20th-century Broadway musicals to vary the fare usually offered, namely, the most popular works of Gilbert and Sullivan. In 1969 the performance venue was moved to the new Centennial Theatre in North Vancouver where predominantly Broadway musicals were presented. In the 1970's, following a run of Gilbert and Sullivan shows, the practise of alternating G & S productions with those of more recent composers and lyricists was instituted. Touring resumed in 1973 and continued for several years. Beginning in 1986 G.V.O.S. production runs ranged between 14 and 17 nights with performances divided between the Centennial and Richmond Gateway Theatres. Productions by the G.V.O.S. ceased in 2000.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes