Bookmark and Share

Sousfonds SV - Corporation of the District of South Vancouver sousfonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Corporation of the District of South Vancouver sousfonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title taken from Statutes of British Columbia (1907, Ch. 38).

Level of description

Sousfonds

Reference code

COV-SV

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1892-1929 (Creation)
    Creator
    South Vancouver (B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

21.89 of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

()

Administrative history

The Corporation of the District of South Vancouver was established on 13 April 1892 under the authority of a Provincial Letters Patent. The geographic boundaries were established as all areas south of 16th Avenue, except District Lot 301 and T.H.S.L. (Town of Hastings Suburban Lands). The Corporation had five broad areas of continuing responsibility, derived from the Municipal Act (S.B.C. 1872, Ch. 35) and later the Municipal Clauses Act (S.B.C. 1896, Ch. 37) as well as other statutes affecting municipalities. These responsibilities were: the control of land use, the development and maintenance of public works, ensuring public safety, providing for public welfare, and the control of public finances. On 1 January 1908, under the authority of the South Vancouver Division Act (S.B.C. 1907, Ch. 38), the larger part of the District became the Corporation of Point Grey. South Vancouver's geographic boundaries were now reduced to all areas south of 16th Avenue on the east side of the previous South Vancouver District, from Cambie Street to Boundary Road. The remaining District (as well as Point Grey) amalgamated with the City of Vancouver on 1 January 1929. The Corporation was organised administratively for most of its existence into a Municipal Council, comprised of a Reeve (Mayor) and Councillors elected by their respective wards, and a number of Standing and Ad hoc Committees. The responsibilities of the Corporation were chiefly carried out by the Standing Committees, whose number and composition varied greatly over time. In 1911, there were five committees: Police, Health, Fire and Water and Light, Finance, and the Board of Works. By 1928 their number had expanded to seven and the committees had assumed additional responsibilities, including Parks, Town Planning, and Lands. In 1915, the mandate for policing was transferred to the Board of Police Commissioners, who first met on 5 February 1915. As a Committee of the Whole, Council itself was responsible for the formulation of policy, governance through By-law or resolution, the approval of public expenditures, and the consideration of recommendations put forth by committees and individuals. Further, it was responsible for part of the annual ordinary expenses of the South Vancouver School Board such as teachers' salaries and the operating costs of schools. Council also considered School Board requests for extraordinary expenses. A different administrative structure existed between 1918 and 1923, when the District was governed by a Commissioner invested with all the powers and functions of the Reeve and Council as well as the Board of Police Commissioners and the Board of School Trustees. On 1 May 1918, under the authority of the Corporation of the District of South Vancouver Administration Act (S.B.C. 1918, Ch. 82), the Lieutenant Governor removed the Council and appointed F.J. Gillespie as Commissioner. He was replaced on 1 October 1921 by A. Wells Gray. Initially, the Commissioner acted alone and held meetings in order to enact By-laws, receive communications, and to decide matters relating to the Municipality. But from April 1919 a special "Advisory Council" also held meetings approximately every two months. It was chaired by the Commissioner and was comprised of a representative of each of the seven wards. Its role was to bring public concerns to the attention of the Commissioner and to form ad hoc committees appointed by him to consider specific issues. From October 1921, under A. Wells Gray, all the business of the Municipality was decided by a single "Council" chaired by the Commissioner and comprised of the ward representatives. On 13 January 1922, a Municipal election was held and a Reeve and seven Councillors were elected. But this Council and its Standing Committees were limited to an advisory role until 1 April 1923, when under the authority of the Corporation of the District of South Vancouver Powers Re-establishment Act (S.B.C. 1922, Ch. 69) the office of Commissioner was abolished and full powers were returned to the elected Council. For a more detailed history, please consult the inventory to the Corporation of the District of South Vancouver fonds.

Related Resources:
For the records of the other jurisdictions which joined together on January 1, 1929 see also the Corporation of Point Grey fonds, and all other City fonds which relate to the period up to 1929.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the following record series relating to the local government functions of the Corporation of the District of South Vancouver (in existence 1892-1928).
--South Vancouver (B.C.)
----Publications in City Publications Collection, 1903-1928, ca. 60 cm, series 577
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Board of Police Commissioners
----Book of occurrences, 1912-1913, 52 cm, series 275
----Commission minutes, 1915-1928, 8 cm, series 237
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Board of School Trustees
----Auditor's reports, 1914-1918, 5 cm, series 119
----Board minutes, 1906-1928, 1 m, series 115
----Financial records, 1911-1924, 52 cm, series 236
----High school entrance examination results, 1914-1928, 4 cm, series 121
----Ledger book, 1908-1912, 4 cm, series 118
----Reports collection, 1906-1915, 13 cm, series 120
----Salary warrants, 1912-1914, 6 cm, series 117
----Teachers employee record, 1913-1918, 1925-1929, 10 cm, series 116
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Board of Works
----Payroll journal, 1928, 4 cm, series 235
----Record of maintenance costs, 1927-1928, 2 cm, series 278
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Court of Revision
----Court minutes, 1894-1908, 1 cm, series 541
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Juvenile Court
----Court calendar, 1923-1928, 45 cm, series 276
----Court calendar index, 1923-1928, 1 cm, series 277
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Licensing Board
----Building permit registers, 1912-1928, 1.38 m, series 234
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Municipal Council
----Annual reports, 1906-1928, 13 cm, series 218
----By-laws, 1892-1928, 3.64 m, series 219
----Council minutes, 1909-1928, 1.84 m, series 215
----Council minutes indexes, 1911-1928, 32 cm, series 216
----Standing committee minutes, 1912-1928, 74 cm, series 217
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Office of the Assessor
----Local improvements assessment rolls, 1914, 1927-1928, 63 cm, series 224
----Property tax assessment rolls, 1893-1895, 1913-1927, 60 cm, series 221
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Office of the Collector
----Tax rolls, 1895-1896, 52 cm, series 222
----Tax sales rolls, 1898, 1915-1928, 70 cm, series 223
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Office of the Municipal Clerk
----Deeds, mortgages, and agreements, 1894-1928, 1.23 m, series 226
----Elections - voters' lists, 1893-1927, 26 cm, series 220
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Office of the Municipal Treasurer
----Agreements and mortgages, 1919-1928, 65 cm, series 225
----Auditor's report, 1918, 2 cm, series 229
----Bonds and debentures, 1909-1929, 67 cm, series 228
----Cashbooks and ledgers, 1911-1929, 1.81 m, series 227
--South Vancouver (B.C.). Water Works Department
----Payroll journal, 1912-1916, 1928, 1 m, series 231
----Plumbing record, 1910-1912, 6 cm, series 233
----Rates and collections ledgers, 1915-1928, 72 cm, series 232
----Water service applications, 1914-1928, 1.30 m, series 230

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions and file lists available.

Associated materials

For the records of the other jurisdictions which joined together on January 1, 1929 see also the Corporation of Point Grey fonds, and all other City fonds which relate to the period up to 1929.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres