Bookmark and Share

Fonds AM1447 - ARTS Club fonds

1933-34 ARTS Club : Vanco...

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

ARTS Club fonds

General material designation

  • Photograph

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

AM1447

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-1993 (Creation)
    Creator
    ARTS Club

Physical description area

Physical description


  • 1 scrapbook
  • 22 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The ARTS Club was a young men's service and social club founded in 1930 in Vancouver, B.C. The club was founded by a group of boys that attended Sunday school at St. Mark's church (2485 West 2nd Ave). The acronym ARTS was derived from the motto "always ready to serve." According to the its constitution, the purpose of the club was to "develop [members'] education through a programme of speakers and forum discussions; to foster athletics and good sportsmanship; to be morally straight, clean and loyal; to hold social activities; to render social service." The club sponsored numerous dances to raise money to support club activities. The community services the club performed included operating the "Send a Boy to Camp" programme that raised money for Alexander Neighbourhood House to send Vancouver boys to summer camps in Howe Sound, the "A Ride to Servicemen" campaign to provide car rides for soldiers stationed in the region during World War II, and a programme to send comfort goods to soldiers serving overseas. After the end of the war the club's active membership declined; regular club meetings ceased by 1950, although several reunions were organized from the 1960's through to the 1990's.

Custodial history

Records were donated to the archives in 2003 in two separate accessions from Leslie Beale and from James Dee.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a scrapbook containing club memorabilia, composite photographs of club members, and photographs taken at club reunions. Photographs from the 1987 reunion have been arranged in a file entitled 1987 reunion snapshots. All other records have been arranged and described as discrete items.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Rights area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres