Title and statement of responsibility area
Architectural Institute of British Columbia fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Architectural Institute of British Columbia
Physical description area
- 9.1 m of textual records
- 136 photographs
- 16 architectural drawings
- 2 audio cassettes
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1892 the British Columbia Institute of Architects was established in Victoria under the Literary Societies Act for the advancement, protection and elevation of architecture and the cultivation of friendly intercourse among members of the profession. In 1914 it became an independent society under the Benevolent Societies Act. In 1920 the Provincial Legislature passed the British Columbia Architects Act, incorporating the Architectural Institute of British Columbia (AIBC) and regulating persons who practiced as architects.
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds consists of early organizational records; correspondence; records pertaining to membership and licensure; Examining Board records; minutes of Annual and Special General Meetings and related correspondence; audit reports; records of committees, seminars and task forces; Council of Presidents records; Council and Executive Committee meeting minutes; records pertaining to the incorporation of architectural firms; records of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada; subject files; and other records pertaining to the activities of the AIBC.
Immediate source of acquisition
Presented by the Architectural Institute of British Columbia.
- Arranged into the following series: A.I.B.C. chapters (1951, 1958-1987); A.I.B.C. incorporation (1892, 1914-1924, 1937); Acts and by-laws (1962-1987); Annual and Special General Meetings (1920-1983); Architectural Centre (1958-1970); Audit reports (1921-1951); Calendars (1921, 1928, 1941); Committees, seminars and task forces (1957-1982); Competitions (1957-1979); Correspondence (1919-1987); Council minutes (1920-1959); Council of Presidents (1979-1982); Education (1958-1987); Examining Board (1947-1975); Executive Committee meetings (1987); Government agencies (1980-1983); Incorporation (1967-1986); Lee's Case (1974-1980); Miscellaneous files (1911-1972); Planning Boards and Associations (1958-1966); Public relations (1971-1982); Registrar's files (1925-1943, 1969-1982); Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (1907-1909, 1948-1978); and Subject files (1950-1951, 1959-1987).
- Includes records from separate accruals formerly identified and described as AM326, AM 707 and AM986. These descriptions have been amalgameted into a single fonds; citations for these records should use only AM326.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some files restricted; see series descriptions and file lists for details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series descriptions and file lists available.