Title and statement of responsibility area
Alexandra Neighbourhood House fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the provenance of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Alexandra Neighbourhood House
Physical description area
- 5.4 m of textual records
- ca. 90 photographs
- 10 architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1892 the Women's Christian Temperance Union opened a home for motherless children in Vancouver. The organization was incorporated as "The Alexandra Non-Sectarian Orphanage and Home for Children" and moved to Alexandra House in Kitsilano. The orphanage was closed in 1938 and the building became Vancouver's first neighbourhood house offering a variety of recreational and social services activities for the Kitsilano area. In 1944, the Alexandra Non-Sectarian Orphanage was re-incorporated as Alexandra Community Activities to include Alexandra House, Gordon House, and Alexandra Fresh Air Camp. With the establishment of the Community Chest and Councils of the Greater Vancouver Area in 1944, these agencies became members. In 1955, the Joint Family Services Project was initiated from Alexandra House and Gordon House. In 1966, Alexandra Community Activities was reorganized as the Alexandra Neighbourhood Services Association, which then became Neighbourhood Services Association of Greater Vancouver in 1969. In the summer of 1971 and 1972 Alexandra House was used as a hostel for travelling youth. Shortly thereafter, Alexandra House was destroyed in a fire.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, correspondence, financial statements, and annual reports of the organization, as well as reports and documentation of the agency's recreational programming, social work services, and neighbourhood development projects. There are some case files relating to families that received social service assistance, as well as some clippings, and photographs. Fonds includes records of the Alexandra Non-Sectarian Orphanage and Home for Children, Alexandra Community Activities, and Community Chest and Councils of the Greater Vancouver Area.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by George Whiten, Alexandra Neighbourhood House, in 1974 and 1976.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Fonds has been microfilmed; please consult microfilm unit M-103. Reels 1 to 11 contain non-restricted records, reels 12 to 15 contains restricted records located at 73-F-8.
Restrictions on access
Portions of the fonds are restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series descriptions available.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Alexandra Neighbourhood House (Creator)